Called

What are you called to do with your life? This is a question I have answered so many different ways over the years. From the time I was a child, I wanted to be a wife and a mother more than anything else in the world. Why? Because of my Mom's example. I am blessed to have two incredible Christian parents, and I am especially thankful for a mother who was at home full time with me and my brother. She is an intelligent, gifted woman who did so much more with her life than "wife" and "mother". She was a role model, a counselor, a coach, a friend, and so much more. But her greatest accomplishment was joining with Dad in teaching us to appreciate our church and the mission field, both at home and abroad. My brother and I were participants on several trips, but one particular trip we will always have tucked away in our life experiences, was to Hong Kong. Mom had served in Hong Kong as a journeyman before she and Dad met, so she had a great love and appreciation for this area of the world. Our experience with them on this particular trip in the mid 80s, allowed me to see into another world, meet other missionaries and their kids living their lives in a foreign place, and join together to study the Word, live out our faith and fellowship together. It was an awesome experience that I will never forget. Since then, I have participated in a number of missions experiences. I am so thankful for the chance I had to serve in Springfield, Missouri as a summer missionary leading day camps, Bible clubs and other programs in my own backyard, as well as the opportunity I had to serve one summer in Hawaii. Years later, Ryan and I were living in Colorado and I had the opportunity to join a team going on a mission trip to Salt Lake City, Utah during the Winter Olympics. We were in the heart of Mormon country, leading in a music venue at a coffee shop downtown as well as on the streets doing fun actvities with the kids as they and their families passed by. While we made balloon animals and painted faces, we took the time to share the love of Christ with them and their families. It was another unforgettable experience that stretched my faith and strengthened my confidence in sharing Christ with others. Now I look ahead to October for another opportunity to serve through missions with a team from my church here in Indiana. We are headed to Barbados, and we have a difficult task ahead of us. We are going to build a church, help complete a project that is so needed for a great congregation there. I continue to hear the calling on my life to serve in a variety of ways, even beyond my roles as wife and mother. I don't know how to explain it other than I hear God speak to my heart, and I know deep inside He has something for me to do. I want to trust and obey Him, and so I will follow with great passion and determination. I am so thankful for the chance to serve once again. I cannot imagine how anyone could resist the call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen