The mission field

"You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8

We are charged to go and tell the Good News to the world. This is our mission field. Everywhere we are, it is our mission. In everything we do, it is our mission. We have been given the Holy Spirit, direct access to the power of Christ and the Holy Scriptures to give others the precious knowledge we possess. How can we hold it in? How can we, especially in our nation's current state of distress, hold on to anything that is of this world? I have a new appreciation for what we have, what we "own" and how little it matters to my eternity. Honestly, I am thankful to have a roof over my head, indoor plumbing, food on my table, a job, transportation, communication by cell phone/internet, a place to worship/church family, health insurance, and my sweet family. When it all comes down to it, does it matter what kind of home we own, as long as we have a place to lay our heads at night? Does it really matter if we have the current electronic gadgets, games, phones, planners, etc? Does it really matter that we have the newest, most innovative means of transportation? I am reminded today as I read the headlines, hear from sweet friends who have traveled to distant lands to see true needs, and through my own experiences on the mission field both here and abroad---none of this "stuff" matters! What matters is this--what am I doing and where am I going to fulfill the purpose God has given me? How am I serving Him and serving others today in my neighborhood, my community, my world? This is not a new revelation, but a renewed sense of humility and thankfulness in my own heart that whether I have the nicest house on the block, the newest phone, computer or vehicle, that my kids get every game system or material possession they could want---it is not affordable, permissable, or even allowable if I have not fully committed my life to serving Christ. All that stuff is unnecessary, but what is necessary is that I am thankful for what God has given me and serving Him without ceasing in all I do and say. We are a very spoiled people, and we have so much to learn. My hope and prayer is that we are constantly convicted to simplify our lives, in order to magnify Christ. I cannot think of a greater purpose in my life than this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen