Light in the darkness

 




'In this time of fear
When prayer so often proves in vain
Hope seems like the summer bird
Too swiftly flown away
Yet now I'm standing here
My hearts so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words
I never thought I'd say...

There can be miraclesWhen you believeThough hope is frail, it's hard to kill Who knows what miracles you can achieve?When you believe, somehow you willYou will when you believe'

(When You Believe, songwriters: Kenneth Babyface Edmonds, Stephen Lawrence Schwartz/performed by Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston "The Prince of Egypt" soundtrack 1998)

I've been reminiscent recently as we are preparing for Christmas, of things that are especially meaningful to me.  The sights, the sounds, the aromas, the feelings, my mind is full of so many.

One of my favorite sights as a child, still a picture in my mind even now:  The Christmas tree aglow, and one of my favorite gifts was an antique baby carriage with a beautiful antique baby doll tucked inside.  It was a delight to discover that Christmas morning near the Christmas tree.   

My Mom was quite the cook and hostess, and every year she would busy herself in the kitchen preparing a wonderful variety of Christmas goodies to enjoy in our home and with our church family.  My parents would host a Christmas open house in our home every year and we'd enjoy inviting our church family and friends into our home to enjoy delicious food and fellowship together.  Top favorite of those delicious Christmas goodies:  Peanut Butter Balls.  Over the years, I found myself in the kitchen helping Mom pull it all together, learning from her, and eventually adding this tradition to my home with my own family.  Just this past weekend, I was busy in my kitchen keeping this tradition going.

The sound of Nat King Cole's Christmas classic on the radio, "The Christmas Song", as the first notes of that song begin to play and he sings, 'Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...', I am taken back to hearing that played in our home as my parents began putting up the decorations, and helping my Dad decorate the Christmas tree.  Ornaments collected from friends at church made lovingly by hand and gifted to our family, and beautiful delicate glass ornaments, hand made red chilies my Mom made herself with beautiful fabric of green and red, and antique and collectible ornaments my parents found and collected throughout their ministries and their travels over the years.

I went with my Dad early this week to visit my Mom at the nursing care facility where she resides.  The Alzheimers/Dementia continues to progress, and week to week there is no significant change as we watch her slowly disappear into someone we no longer recognize as the wife and mother we have always known and loved.  I talk with my Dad often about how we cope with this unimaginable thing we are experiencing.  How to cope?  How to keep moving forward?  How to avoid falling into a dark pit of despair, with no desire whatsoever of emerging because it is just too awful to take one more moment of this reality.  I don't know why, but the song from the film "The Prince of Egypt" came to mind today.  The point toward hope, despite so frail at times, the often times empty feeling of wondering if our prayers are being heard and answered knowing my Mom will never be the same......there still remains hope even if it is only the dimness of a single candle illuminating the darkest of night.  We do not lose hope, because there can be miracles when we believe.  Jesus is our salvation, and our hope, our reason for believing despite the despair and darkness that threatens to engulf us at any moment in this life.  Somehow we find hope, because we have hope in Him, our Savior, our Redeemer, our Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  

I hope and pray that you have a truly blessed Christmas and New Year.  There is no greater hope than knowing we have Jesus, the greatest gift our God could ever give!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen