Enter His Rest

God’s promise of entering His rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. Hebrews 4:1 I just wrapped up a very timely devotional study today for the week, “The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry” by John Mark Comer. Each day’s focus has been about what is not compatible with Hurry. Peace and Rest were particularly difficult for me to really soak up. 2020 is proving to be a year of great intensity for me. I am nearing completion of week #6 of my new job and my Mom’s Dementia has grown increasingly worse. It’s hard to explain just how heavy it feels mentally and physically, how absolutely draining it is when I get to the end of the day. I feel completely inadequate, and I find myself apologizing to Ryan and the kids often. I am finding out I have limitations, that there is only so much one person can do with the responsibilities they have been given in this life. It’s not the first time I have had to stare into the mirror at myself and realize, “I can’t keep up this pace. What am I doing?” God’s purpose is unique to each of us. And I believe it’s important for each of us to recognize that purpose doesn’t change, but as we embrace it and journey through this life, God has given us free will to find our own balance as we strive to fulfill that purpose. First thing we need to acknowledge: Purpose is lifelong. It is not a sprint, it is more like a marathon. I would even go so far as to say, it is a deliberate and steady walk. There is a reason that the scriptures specifically speak of us walking with Christ, and Christ walking with us. I can’t recall anytime we are told we have to run, or race to keep up with Him. The Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, John the Baptist spent many years living in the wilderness and preaching throughout Judea before the familiar passage of Jesus’ baptism, and Jesus himself spent 40 days in the wilderness as we read the familiar passage of the temptations Satan hurled at Him and were ultimately resisted. I think we have some perspective to gain here, when we stop to consider what’s been stripped away from us these past few months, and that this has been what can be described as a timely wilderness of sorts for us all! So I have been chewing on, meditating on, and trying to settle my brain on a better perspective. A restful and grateful posture, a daily life habit of worshipping my Father God, and praying for the sake of just simply telling God, “Lord, I am so tired and I’ve got nothing left in me. I need You!” He is offering to show us His way, to teach us with humility and grace, because it’s the best way. And when we hear Him, when we trust Him, when we obey Him, we will be at rest as He intends. The rest He established when He created the world. When He created us. Let’s find it together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen