The Power of the Senses: Touch


But he said, “Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won’t believe it.” John 20:25 MSG

Recently, I had to undergo a minor procedure and it was not something I expected to have to endure. A second time. It was bad enough the first time, but a second time? I have seen my doctor more in the past 10 days than I normally do in an entire year and I have learned a lot but the great mystery remains: the human body is quite amazing. I wish mine had managed this particular issue better than it did, but thanks to the excellent care of my doctor, I am on the mend. The things we experience from the sense of touch, can set us on a perspective in life to expect things to always go a certain way. We are either more certain or more uncertain by what the sense of touch provides to us from one experience to the next. We want something tangible to know something is true and real.

In John 20, we read about the experience Thomas had in seeing, touching, realizing Jesus was risen! He had not been with the disciples before when Jesus first appeared, but about a week later he was with them when Jesus appeared a second time. Without hesitation, Jesus knew as he appeared to them, to Thomas, what Thomas needed to know for certain that He was real, risen and present with them. Jesus said to him, “Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don’t be unbelieving. Believe.” And as soon as he did, Thomas exclaimed, “My Master! My God!”

I am not sure why God allows things to happen that we don’t expect and just don’t want to have to deal with. But He does. Because He is God, and I am not, He must have a greater purpose even for this. I cannot begin to understand the work of God in my life, it is unfathomable and beyond my own comprehension. Because of the hope of Christ in me, I have reason to rise above daily and trust that my God has my best in His care. He is good, faithful and trustworthy. I struggle with both the minor and the monumental worries that come at me on a daily basis. Sometimes I admit, when God provides a tangible proof of His provision that it does boost my confidence in Him. But it does not define it. My faith, my hope is built on Christ, He who lives in me. When we are seeking and settling into His presence daily, exploring His Word, opening our hearts and minds to Him in our prayers, casting everything upon Him-there is peace beyond human understanding. I am thankful for that. I am thankful for my Father God!

There’s no shame in admitting you may be a lot like Thomas, I have had seasons of my life when I was in that desperate place. I wanted something more from God to know He was going to come through for me, for my family. Trust that He knows what He is doing, and He will do it for you in His perfect timing. It is in these moments of struggle, that He builds us, strengthens us, prepares us for what He has next for our lives. What a good Father!

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen