We were made to live for so much more....

I love that song by Switchfoot. The words are piercing at times, because I realize I am not always living the righteous life God has intended for me. In my morning devotional today I was reminded of how important it is to daily put off my old self, and live as the new creation God has made me to be. But this is not something we can attain instantly, or over a short period of time. It is something I will strive toward for my entire life. I am not defined by what I've done, who I am, or who I'd like to be one day. I am defined by grace, by the precious gift of eternal life that has been given to me through the Son of God. I am daily in awe of the sacrifice for me, Jesus' life upon the cross for all my sin past, present and future. How could I ever earn that or deserve that? It can't be done. How do I live more perfectly, more righteously? Let go of the things that are not lasting, temporary, of material value only. I don't want to dwell on the things that are consuming the hearts and minds of everyone around me. I want to clear away the clutter and dwell upon my Lord, His will for my life, and how I can somehow make a lasting impact on those around me. We were made to live for so much more...have we lost ourselves? Yes, we have! I see it everyday in people around me who have no hope, are simply moving about with lack of true purpose and direction in their lives. The simple life, forced upon us by our poor choices in the past, has given me and Ryan a new perspective on what matters most. I am so thankful for my life, for my family, and for the basics of life: a home, food on the table, a job, transportation, and sweet family and friends to love and encourage me. There are so many people in this world with so little, and nobody to help them get through just the day to day stuff. I desire to be set apart, make an impression on those who are less fortunate and need more in their lives than what they have now. I know God will use me if I am willing to be filled up and poured out for His purpose. We should be so open and useful to Him at all times, not just when we feel we are able to do it. Coming before Him, ready to be used, means to expect the unexpected and expect change. What will He call me to do today that I may not expect or anticipate? How will I respond? He's got a plan, and I need to be ready to move. I was made for something more...and I am looking forward to it each and every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen