Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen



 Give your burdens to the Lord and He will take care of you.  Psalm 55:22

I had the absolute joy recently of taking a trip with my Dad and my Brother to Santa Fe, New Mexico - it was perfectly timed and just what we all needed.  The weather was absolutely perfect as the leaves had changed to these beautiful hues of gold, green, red, orange, and the sky was clear blue, the landscape of the southwest was nearly indescribable.  The food was delicious and as we remembered fondly from years past:  red, green or Christmas - how to choose?  If you know, you know!  The feeling in this part of the country, the melting pot of so many diverse cultures come together in one place to celebrate and soak up the art/music/culture is something you can't describe in words but must experience in person to appreciate fully.  Despite the obvious vacant spot on that trip-Mom-it was something we all needed I think, my Dad especially.  Santa Fe is one step closer to heaven for him, well at least for anyone who would describe their 'happy place' - for Dad, this is definitely it.  It was bittersweet to spend time with him there and especially to reconnect with an old childhood friend from our years in the Las Cruces area when we were just children.  My dear friend Alison met us for lunch one day, and it was just like old times honestly.  We had such a great time catching up on each other's lives, learning about each other's families, our personal and professional experiences over the years, laughter and a few tears as we listened to Dad reminisce especially about time spent with her Grandparents and her Dad all those years ago.  It was so good to spend time with her again after all these years, and I am so thankful to be reconnected with her once again.

On another day during our week in Santa Fe, we journeyed just north to Chimayo to walk the beautiful grounds there.  It is an area of immense beauty, sacred and quiet space that many come to remember their loved ones long past, to pray, to meditate, to be still.  I was reminded very quickly as we stepped into the 100plus year old chapel that it truly is a place set apart, respected and cared for by so many who appreciate it.  You could hear a pin drop, it was so quiet except for the creak of our feet on the floors and as we sat in the worn pews.  I found a place to sit, and was immediately overcome with tears, just the sense of God's presence.  I can't describe it, but I felt Him absolutely surrounding and comforting me.  I had a mixture of images, thoughts, feelings in that stillness:  grief....joy....gratitude...love.....

As I look back on that trip with my Dad and my Brother, I sense this cycle continuing in me and staying with me, never stayed or stalled on one in particular but a continuous circle.  Isn't that as it should be as seasons come, and seasons go?  I could get stuck in grief so easily if I allowed my humanity to win on any given day, and don't get me wrong:  I have moments when I can't shake it and have a really bad day.  But I know where to turn and I know what to do to find my way out of it, even if it feels like I'm grasping the edge white knuckled trying to get back on solid ground.  When I do, when my Lord extends His hand once again and I can find my footing, his abundant love always there to comfort and strengthen me, you  can be sure as I stand full in His wonderful grace these will be the first words I utter......

Hallelujah and Amen.  Thank you God for helping me to my feet time and time again, no matter what this life brings.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness