What do you see?




‘God is uncompromising when it comes to dealing with our heart, body, soul, and spirit and its issues.
Before God can move through us, He must first move in us.’ (Brian Houston, Hillsong Church, “Live, Love, Lead” 14 day devotional on Bible app)


Zechariah 4:1-10 NIV:
Then the angel who talked with me returned and woke me up, like someone awakened from sleep. He asked me, “What do you see?”
I answered, “I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl at the top and seven lamps on it, with seven channels to the lamps. Also there are two olive trees by it, one on the right of the bowl and the other on its left.”
I asked the angel who talked with me, “What are these, my lord?”
He answered, “Do you not know what these are?”
“No, my lord,” I replied.
So he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty.
“What are you, mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of ‘God bless it! God bless it!’”
Then the word of the LORD came to me: “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands will also complete it. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you.
“Who dares despise the day of small things, since the seven eyes of the LORD that range throughout the earth will rejoice when they see the chosen capstone in the hand of Zerubbabel?”


When I was in high school, I can recall several moments in my walk with Christ when I was so on fire and so incredibly excited about taking the world by storm for the sake of Christ! I was not eager to go door to door, sharing my salvation on the street corners, but instead I had a deep love and appreciation for those conversations one and one to simply relate to others and their current life circumstances. I didn’t make new friends easily or quickly, but as I was taught and mentored by several amazing Christian leaders throughout my young life, I learned a rhythm of my own as the Spirit led me to share Christ’s love with those who I knew needed to know Him.

That aspect of my personality and my faith journey have not changed much, as I still appreciate so much today the opportunity I have to talk about my love for Christ in simple conversation. I think there was a time when I felt pressure and high expectation to memorize the right scriptures and the right words to perfectly present the gospel of Jesus Christ with anyone and everyone I encountered. As I entered real life, graduated college, married, moved away from home and discovered church for myself, found other amazing and loving communities of faith wherever we lived, I found a new and unique rhythm all my own. That is precisely how God intends for our stories to be shared with the world. That is precisely how God intends for His church to lead others to know Him, love Him, and follow Him.

I love this passage in Zechariah, the pointed responses from the angel, causes me to pause and consider as if I were in his place:

“What do you see, Andrea?”

Zechariah needed a little help seeing literally and spiritually just what God had purposed for him. First, it is to be accomplished by the Spirit of the Lord, not by any ounce of strength I may possess on my own. Second, when I am fully aware and appreciate the power of the Spirit within me, then I am prepared to accomplish what I set my hands to. That mountain that’s in front of me, that thing that I see looming ahead, that thing I know I must face and I must get through to the other side…..I must choose to see it through the eyes of Christ. I must choose to be fully seated in the abundant purpose God has for me each and every day. Then and only then, will the accomplishment be realized.

Whatever you are facing today, whatever you have set your mind to accomplish in this life, both personally and professionally, begin first by asking God what remains in you to work through. Be patient, trust His timing, even when your personal preference may be to get through it a whole lot faster! Then you will be prepared to put your hands to the work He intends. Then, your abundant purpose will be known.

See your life, your purpose and share your story with others as the Father intends for you. He is not finished with you yet. I am thankful for what He has done, what He is doing, and what He is about to do!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen