Fill me up

"There's a God-shaped hole in all of us, and the restless soul is searching. There's a God-shaped hole in all of us, and it's a void only He can fill." --Plum

If you haven't got this cd, get it and listen to this song. I love her stuff, so applicable and relevant to the stuff we go through in this life. Yesterday it came to me as I was driving home from Bible study. I have this hole in my soul that needs to be filled daily, and oh my goodness how easy it is to grab whatever is convenient at the moment to fill it. When the stress hits, my comfort is food. I am working at resisting that, because it is not good for my waistline or my health. When I make an effort, exercise can meet that need but more often I tend to give in to whatever warm, baked goodness is on my kitchen counter. I am struck by how much God must desire for me to choose to reach for him in those moments. I do, but my selfish flesh struggles and gives in to a more immediate relief at times. Why can't we make a habit of in that moment reminding ourselves of the peace He provides, the comfort He gives that is more lasting than any earthly comfort? It is natural for us to relate that peace to something tangible when describing it to a non believer...but it truly is inadequate. That is how living it out daily sends the message to our world. If we are fluctuating daily, but consistently return to His promises and His peace, what an example that can be to others. I am going to make a greater effort, rise to the challenge. It is a habit we must form to fill that void, that hole that exists in each one of us. He will fill it, if we are willing, teachable, usable for His purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen