Patience in the waiting: Week 3---Help me, Lord!

Why is it so hard to wait when in the end, when the time is right, we see from the other side it truly makes sense? Stupid human nature! Oy. I find as I get older, I have less and less patience with the things of this world, the reality we live in. There are moments I can see listed in my mind, experiences I have endured that I still don't fully understand God's purpose and I have every intention of asking Him when I am there one day, "Why?" The funny thing is, I will probably not even get the words out of my mouth because when I stand before Him, when I am no longer bound by this wretched body, feeble human mind, and burdened by the weight this world has placed upon me--it will be clear and I will be at peace. Anyone else longing for that day? Yes! It can't come soon enough. Thankfully God does not think like we do. Thankfully He is more patient, more loving, more gracious than we can possibly comprehend and is willing to wait even for just one more person to come into relationship with Him. Mind-blowing! I read a familiar passage this morning and just struck by how the events played out and God's hand truly orchestrated it for Jacob's good.

Genesis 29:20-28(NIV) So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her. Then Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife. My time is completed, and I want to lie with her." So Laban brought together all the people of the place and gave a feast. But when evening came, he took his daughter Leah and gave her to Jacob, and Jacob lay with her. And Laban gave his servant girl Zilpah to his daughter as her maidservant. When morning came, there was Leah! So Jacob said to Laban, "What is this you have done to me? I served you for Rachel, didn't I? Why have you deceived me?" Laban replied, "It is not our custom here to give the younger daughter in marriage before the older one. Finish this daughter's bridal week; then we will give you the younger one also, in return for another seven years of work." And Jacob did so. He finished the week with Leah, and then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife.

Can you imagine how he must have felt? Here's something that crossed my mind as I read over this passage several times, letting it sink in. How many of us have asked God that question Jacob posed to Laban, "What is this you have done to me?" How many of us have found ourselves in a life experience so hard, so difficult, so painful, that it left us in a crumpled heap on the floor, crying out to God? Can you relate? Feeling battered, beaten up by life, and wondering if just one more thing happens then you're forever doomed and there is no hope? What is it that makes the difference, what can lift us out of this state, give us the supernatural ability to stand up and then put one foot in front of the other? Jesus, and His deep, unending, unconditional, abiding love for us! Do you know why we find ourselves going through what seems to be a cycle motion? This life is a journey, not an easy one at any given time, but because we are human, and because life is unpredictable it is all the more comforting and amazing to consider God is constant, He never changes, He is always near to the brokenhearted, the worn down, the mistreated and forgotten. He will never fail us, and He is always near to us! All we have to do, when we find ourselves at the very rock bottom of our situation, thinking there is no way up and out--we can reach up and find His arms open wide to help us.

Life is going to hand us a multitude of choices, good and bad, so what we do with what we've been given does not have to be simply up to us alone. When we choose to lay our lives before our God, consider how deeply He loves us, present our needs and our dreams to Him, and trust Him to provide according to His good and perfect will for us--we can somehow rest in a patient state because of His peace within us. I am so thankful for that. This truly is a lifelong lesson for me, and I am certain for many of you.

Whatever you are facing today, whether you are riding high in an amazing and fruitful time in your life, or maybe you are in a desert right now and in need of nourishment--God will certainly supply all that you need! Call on Him, and He will comfort, heal and restore you. I am prayng for you today and I am thankful we are on this journey together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy and Light

Light in the darkness

Seasons come, Seasons go, Hallelujah and Amen